Tuesday, November 15, 2016

I started this poem last night after the Giants beat the Bengals on Monday Night Football.  Seems I always think of my Dad whenever I watch the Giants, our family's favorite football team way before my memories start.  I've passed the tradition down to some of my children which makes me very happy.  Brother Jon and his kids too.  It's fun when we can get together and cheer and put holes in the ceiling and think of Elmer.

My father's knee
a good place to be
when all we felt was sorrow
as we watched our team
get buried.

We suffered toe to toe
As we watched Francis T.
and wide receiver Homer Jones go
 home unceremoniously.

Week after week we'd sit there suffering
cheering loudly, loyally crying
hoping that one week
we'd end up cheering and
happily sighing.

Didn't happen much
But we were diehard fans
Who cares about lunch
 dirty pots and pans

The games were long 
full of disappointment
Giant fans always strong
Ever loyal in our deportment.

He made me a Giant fan
Of the New York Giants see
The sweet memories still fill me
Sundays, always hopeful,
Next to my Dad







No comments:

Post a Comment